RMS Early Career Sub Group
RMS Early Career (RMS EC) is a sub-group of the RMS for students, postdocs and early career professionals. RMS EC aims to focus on career development of RMS members through pre-congress workshops, industrial tours, networking events and more
RMS Early Career (RMS EC) enables students, postdocs and early career professionals to become more involved in the RMS than ever before, share their views and ideas for the RMS and make the most out of their RMS membership. Many students, postdocs and early career professionals often forget that the RMS can be utilised as a tool for professional development, a platform for collaboration and, most importantly, a community.
RMS EC aims to bridge the gaps between a) students, postdocs and early career professionals, and b) research facility scientists, industrial scientists, academic staff, the RMS team and more. Upon creating a community here in the UK, the next step would be to encourage similar early career councils to be established (if not already) across Europe, such that RMS EC could potentially be a branch of a much larger Early Career Council under the other Microscopy Societies.
RMS EC would not only organise new events and create new initiatives, but also make students, postdocs and early career professionals aware of the existing resources and opportunities provided by the RMS.
What will RMS Early Career do?
Provisional list of activities:
- Organise pre-meeting congresses for students, postdocs and early career professionals at national and international conferences (i.e. for European Microscopy Congress (EMC) in 2020 and Microscience Microscopy Congress (MMC) in 2021).
- Promote collaboration between students, postdocs and early career professionals in the RMS across both physical and biological sciences.
- Organise a biennial MSA-RMS student/early career researcher scholarship, where:
- 2-3 RMS members would be awarded scholarships to attend Microscopy & Microanalysis (M&M), and
- 2-3 Microscopy Society of America (MSA) members would be awarded scholarships to attend Microscience Microscopy Congress (MMC).
- Attend conferences to raise awareness of the RMS. Inform attendees of what the RMS can do and how they can get involved in RMS Early Career.
- Build a network with microscopy-related industries to provide support and careers advice for students, postdocs and early career professionals. Organise facility tours and informative presentations from research centres and industry if desired by members.
- Provide information on RMS EC activities via e-mail, infocus magazine and on the RMS website.
- We are open to further suggestions!
Who can benefit?
- Early career professionals
Any student, postdoc or early career professional who is a member the RMS can benefit from the activities organised by RMS EC. You will be informed of upcoming events through the RMS website, e-mails and infocus magazine.
We are recruiting committee members!
If you are interested in becoming a committee member of RMS EC, please contact email@example.com. As RMS EC aims to support students, postdocs and early career professionals, it would be ideal to have committee members from each of these categories.