As an individual member of the RMS you will enjoy:
- Free subscription to infocus magazine- the quarterly RMS publication. Articles include microscopy techniques and developments, events calendar, news, event reports, book reviews and new product information.
- Access to an annual bursary fund to support your attendance at domestic and international conferences.
- Discounted registration fees for RMS meetings, courses and conferences, with great opportunities to network at the events.
- Discounted subscription to the Journal of Microscopy, a leading multidisciplinary journal.
- Active links with other microscopy societies.
- Discounts on purchases made online at wiley.com, publishers of academic and educational books and journals.
- Automatic membership of the European Microscopy Society.
- Access to one of our Summer Studentships.
- After 3 years ordinary membership, you are eligible to become a Fellow of the Society and display the post-nominals FRMS. Fellowship is subject to meeting set criteria. Fellows are also able to vote at all Society meetings, and can themselves be elected to the Society's Sections and Council.
Which Level of Membership suits you?
Ordinary Membership - £72.50
For those that are new to the Royal Microscopical Society, this is the entry level of membership.
Concessionary - £27.50
For those that are not in paid employment
Student - £27.50
We are proud to offer students their first year of membership completely free!
Fellow - £70
Providing the qualifying criteria have been met, individuals who have been an Ordinary Member of the Society for more than three years can become Fellows of the RMS and enjoy a discounted membership fee.
Corporate - £475
For businesses and academic organisations. Find out more about the benefits of being a Corporate Member of the RMS.
You can also opt to include a discounted subscription to the Journal of Microscopy with your RMS Membership.
- For Individual Members this is an extra £134
- For Corporate Members this is an extra £440
RMS Fellowship Qualifying Criteria
Since 2007, members are required to maintain Ordinary Membership for a continuous period of three years before being invited to become a Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society. Invitations are subject to members meeting one or more of the qualifying criteria listed below. This list is not exhaustive and we may add activities as they are approved by our Executive Committee. If you have any suggestions for activities you feel may be appropriate, please contact the membership team.
Qualifying criteria for Fellow conversion:
- Put an RMS link on your personal webpage
- Submit an article for inclusion in infocus
- Complete a book review for publication in infocus
- Supply a member profile for website/infocus
- Recruit four new members to the Society
- Present a poster or give a talk at an RMS event
- Win one of the categories at the RMS Scientific Imaging Competition
- Be an invited speaker at an RMS event
- Be involved in the scientific organisation of an RMS event
- Attend an RMS event (includes the mmc series)
In some circumstances, Council may choose to allow an individual to join the Society as a Fellow. In these instances the individual would be a known and respected member of the microscopy and imaging community with a substantial number of years’ experience.
Are membership subscriptions renewable on the anniversary of joining?
Membership subscriptions are due annually on 1st January, reminders are sent out in November each year.
How can I pay for my membership?
We accept card payments and can provide you with an invoice if required. You can opt to pay by direct debit and receive a 5% discount on your subscription. We are also able to accept cheques that are posted to the RMS Office.
- Are membership subscriptions renewable on the anniversary of joining?
Ready to become an RMS Member?