Aberdeen University Microscopy and Histology Core Facility
The Microscopy and Histology Core Facility is based in the Institute of Medical Sciences at the University of Aberdeen. We are pleased to welcome all users with all levels of experience in microscopy and/or histology from the university and also visiting scientists from other faculties, universities and hospitals. We have a wide variety of equipment available for use and staff members with many years of experience who are happy to help.
Keywords - Light Microscopy: Confocal Microscopy | Widefield Microscopy | Laser Microdissection | Live Cell Imaging
Keywords - Electron Microscopy: Transmission EM | Electron Tomography | Scanning EM (Tungsten)
Keywords - X-Ray Microscopy: MicroCT
- Zeiss 700 Laser Scanning Confocal Microscope
- Zeiss 710 Laser Scanning Confocal Microscope
- Zeiss Imager M2 + Apotome
- Zeiss Observer Z1
- Zeiss PALM Laser Microdissection system
- Zeiss Axioscan Z1
- SkyScan-1072 High-resolution desk-top micro-CT system
Live cell Imaging
- Delta Vision Core wide field imaging system with EMCCD
- Perkin Elmer Ultraview Spinning Disk
- Tissue processors, standard and motorized microtomes for wax and resin sectioning
- Cryostat for frozen sectioning
- Leica Bond-max fully automated immunostainer
- JEOL 1400 plus TEM and XR16M-ActiveVu camera
- Zeiss EVO MA10 SEM with Oxford Inca microanalysis
- Leica UC6, UC7 R2 ultramicrotomes
- Cryo Electron Microscopy
- Leica Empact 2 High Pressure Freezer (with rapid transfer system)
- Leica AFS (Automated Freeze Substitution) processor
- Leica FC6 cryo-ultramicrotome
Keywords - Biological: Cell Biology | Neurobiology | Developmental Biology | Plant Biology | Zebrafish | C.elegans | Microbiology | Histology/Pathology | Food
Keywords - Physical: Geology/Mineralogy
As a busy multi-user facility, we see a wide variety of samples passing through. We have the expertise to deal with many different sample types.
Keywords - Biological: Resin Embedding | Ultrathin Sectioning | Serial Sectioning | Tokuyasu Embedding | Cryosectioning | Immunolabelling | High Pressure Freezing | Freeze Substitution | Critical Point Drying | Metal Coating | Negative Stain | Correlative Light and EM | Immunofluorescence | Cryostat Sectioning | H&E Staining | Enzyme Histochemistry | Live Cell
We are able to advise and assist users on the best way to prepare their samples.
Keywords - Software: ImageJ | FIJI | Imaris | Amira | IMOD | Volocity | ImagePro | AxioVision
We can support users in the analysis of their data and there is a range of software packages available for use. Training can be given if required.